Monday, March 5, 2012

Movies 73-80

read the Last post if you need to know what is going on. Or I'll just break it down quick. I watch 100 movies that I haven't seen before. Then I rate them scale of 0-5. 0 bad 5 good. Fill in the Blanks.

PLEASE FOLLOW THE BLOG. PLEASE. Plus tell others constantly. PLEASE. FOLLOW THE BLOG.

(73) Law Abiding Citizen (2009)
Butler is great in about everything he does, this is no exception to the rule. Overall the deal is simple, If it has Butler in it, he will probably be pretty good. So it's at least getting one point just for having Butler in it. Then it has Jaimie Foxx whom isn't too bad either, but in this I didn't care too much for him, The character was just a little too weak for Foxx. I really thought although the character was naturally smart, I didn't think he was smart enough to catch the criminal. Some stuff didn't play out really well in the plot, It had some holes in it. It could have been carried out incorrectly or just not exactly what needed to be done to make the plot carry though. It was however clever and a really nice twist on a revenge movie. I like it when you side with the character who is supposed to be the bad guy, I didn't want him to get caught. The way it played out was just amazing, The holes throughout did not help you side with the so called good guys in this movie. I think the most important thing i have to say about this movie is that it is a descent popcorn, lay at home hanging out and be relatively entertained. It has a descent plot with a nice twist in the the end. It's not amazing, but it's not bad. 3 out of 5.

(74) Jackass 2 (2002)
It's a Jackass movie. It's guys running around doing really really really stupid stuff. Nothing Special here. Getting shot, getting shot out of something, getting bitten, biting. Lots of OW and OH. 3 out of 5.

(75) Dazed and Confused (1994)

This movie is a cult classic. People love this movie. I don't know why. I went in expecting this to be something else, It wasn't. I liked some things about it. It's all start cast of misfits that weren't all starts until later on. Who is in it. Milla Jovovich, Adam Goldberg, Ben Affleck, Matthew McConaughey, Renée Zellweger, plus lots of other cult heroes like people from Clerks and Mallrats. This being said, I have to admit I went in with pretty high hopes that this was going to be pretty good. I thought it was going to be in the ranks of the great Stoner movies I have seen in the past. To name a few Half baked, How High, The White Castle movies, Bongwater, The big Lebowski, Pineapple express, and the cheech and chong series. Which i loved all of those and truly expected this one to fall into the category nicely of stoner movies that I love dearly. True. McConaughey was priceless. Absolutely the best part of the movie without a shadow of a doubt. Golberg made this movie his as well. The rest of Cast was either only in a few episodes or it was just stupid. It's a high school movie, I'll start by putting that out there. So there is a large amount of the movie focused around being brutally hazed, girls by cheerleaders, boys by drunk boys with awesome paddles. So the kids who were to be hazed were terrified during the thing and when they finally got hazed it was ok from there. That was kinda funny, but not enough to redeem a few factors. Bad acting. Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad acting. It's as if half of the cast were reading from a teleprompter. London who was the focus of the movie, who also kind of sucked in Mallrats and now is lost doing TONs and TONs of B movies that are actually bad, not the good ones that I so deeply love, I mean actually bad movies that nobody ever intends on watching. I have to say it but the guy deserves to be in those movies, he isn't very good. The acting was saved by McConaughey, Goldberg, Shawn Andrews and Rory Cochrane Everyone else in the movie was terrible. Just terrible. Well Milla wasn't so bad all she had to do was look hot, which she pulled of just by being there so it wasn't complicated. Little known fact about this movie. Andrews and Milla totally hooked up and eloped during the shooting of this film, She was only 16 so her mom didn't let it stand. Anyway, Thank you IMDB for that little tidbit. The movie basically covers a certain point of Time the beginning of summer and the coming of age for certain young kids and the passing of the age for others. It just doesn't translate well, do to the overabundance of some of the bad acting, and the slow pace of the movie, and the fact that their is no real incident to drive the film. I was told how amazing this is by many sources It has a 7.6 on IMDB. I give it a solid 2 out of 5.

(76) Tucker and Dale VS. EVIL. (2011)
This movie is in the running for the best Film I saw all year long. It was Hilarious, it had great acting even from the sub characters. Tyler Labine came out of nowhere for me, This is the first movie that I honestly can say he stuck out in. He was in other stuff, Like Zakk and Miri and some other films, but he made his presence known here. Alan Tudyk who is great in everything he touches from Firefly to dodgeball to death at a funeral, he is an unstoppable force to be reckoned with. Then out of nowhere the ditsy chick from 30 rock, nails the horror chick in distress/ love interest. Way to go Katrina Bowden. The movie was clever. The movie showed the opposite points of views perfectly. They nailed the awkwardness. They Nailed the Accident's. Was is scary? No. Was it supposed to be scary? No. Was it Fun and funny? yes. Was it one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time? Yes. Was it in the theaters? no. Should it have been? Yes. One thing that I don't understand about Magnet, Yes this was another one of theirs. The fourth in 2011. I can't help it, it's good stuff. There will be more from Magnet to come. Just be ready for it. I don't understand why people aren't going in droves to witness some of the lower budget blockbuster hits like Tucker and Dale and Troll Hunter. Okay so I understand not everyone wants to watch Rubber or Hobo with a Shotgun or Black Death or the Last Circus. You should want to, but if you don't whatever, I am telling you now. DO NOT MISS THIS MOVIE. DON'T. You will laugh. You will cry. (from laughing) you will call your friends afterwards and tell them to watch this. Then you will tell your friends to subscribe to my blog then you will get together with your friends and watch Troll Hunter, then they will tell their friends to subscribe to my blog. Then I will have like 3 people subscribed to my blog and that will be awesome, but you know what's better than subscribing to my blog. Not that Anything can actually be better than subscribing to my Blog, have you done that by the way? because if you haven't you should. It's fun. It has prizes. Like I'll send you a cupcake. I will. My niece Isabella makes awesome cupcakes just ask Anne about them. she made them on Christmas for us, I promise they don't taste like stale toothpaste. Anyway, Whats better than subscribing to my blog which you should totally do. Tucker and Dale VS. EVIL is better, Magnet Movies are better. Don't believe me. http://www.magnetreleasing.com/ HA Told YOU. So Tucker and Dale. Was it the perfect movie for what it was looking to achieve. By gosh yes it was. 5 he must a been allergic or something because he was running like a bat outta Hell. out of 5. 5 these kids must be in some sorta suicide pact. out of 5. 5 we have the girl she's in my bedroom out of 5. 5 why are you not heading to Wal Mart, FYI, AMazon.com, or netflix to watch this. right the heck now out of 5. Seriously get on it. By the way the poster means GIVE UP. Just so you know.

(77) Astro Boy (2009)
This had been on Netflix teasing me over and over and over. Finally I had a few hours before heading off to work so I decided to spend it with Astro Boy. Animation was the computer generated stuff that I don't normally like very much, because it tends to be a bit colorful. It wasn't here, and it looked pretty great. The Plot was spotless and wonderful, It made me cry, but hey I cry if I see a bee die. So that's not exactly and achievement for the movie. The voice acting was top notch the only famous famous person was Charlize Theron and Cage, but man did the others really pull their roles off as well. Kristen Bell who is steadily growing in my charts did really well. One of my favorite actors Bill Nighy (Potter, Dr. Who, Underworld, Hitchhikers Guide, Shaun of the Dead etc.) was awesome in this as well. Oh Alan Tudyk whom was mentioned in the above movie for his beloved roll of Tucker was also here. Lets just say It wasn't undercast. I don't really remember a high Ad campaign for this movie which surprises me due to the amount of people who voiced it, the polish of the Animation, the attention to detail and great writing. The movie flowed really well. I have one gripe and it isn't a usual gripe for me, so it's odd. It ended abruptly, they could have carried out the final battle a bit longer. I hate when Movies do this. Ironman movies are famous for it. Build up, Build up, Build up and then a short scene and it's over. Let's see a real fight. It didn't end as abrupt as the Iron Man Movies or as Abrupt as Hector did in the Green Lantern. (45 minutes of character building wasted I AM LOOKING AT YOU GREEN LANTERN) So it didn't really detract from the movie enough for me not to recommend it. I do recommend the Iron Man movies, but do not recommend the Green Lantern Movie. I also recommend Astro Boy. It's a great movie, especially for kids. It's a 4 out of 5.

(78) The Lincoln Lawyer (2011)
Hey another repeat actor in this Blog. Welcome back Matthew McConaughey. We like you here at The Sea is Calm. Which is why i wanted to watch this. Not really. I just thought this was going to be a really good Law movie. On occasion I like movies that play around with the Judgement system. The Firm being one of my favorites. This one is a bit different, McConaughey's character is a less than admirable Lawyer who represents less than admirable people. He is good though. Understands the system. His conscience gets the best of him when a rich sleeze ball tries to play him. Tomei is sexy as always in this. Macy and Lucas are great. Here is the deal. Some of the show stealer's are sub characters. Trace Adkins and Lawrence Mason were the best characters in the movie. They played their rolls perfectly. The plot was a typical system running plot, nothing super saving there, which was disappointing. Then toward the end, Payment is received and Justice is served. The Main Character Mick, was a great character. McConaughey pulled him off with a hitch and the best part of the movie, you actually fell in love with the characters and not the movie itself. I like it when that happens you feel something for the people involved. This movie of course do to what type of movie it is, had some slow points, but it didn't overly suffer from them. Although they were dealing with plot twists and turns and they dwelled a little too heavy on some things they may should have tried to avoid altogether it seemed like the flow wasn't disrupted to badly. The movie stayed true from start to finish and Mick character was flawless. 4 out of 5.

(79) Georgia Rule (2007)
I can't lie the only reason I wanted to watch this movie is because I am Mormon and I wanted to see how they portrayed us. They did a descent job, but some things deeply upset me. Some things, well they didn't. They portrayed the Mormons as a family oriented religion with strict rules that make us a better people. The way they portrayed the girls as jealous little jerks was somewhat funny, but not accurate. They also had a few lines about how all Mormon girls are plain and not very pretty. I object to that. I have to say that some of my friends out there who are Mormons are the best looking people I have ever seen. Far more attractive than what the media wants us to like. For instance lets just say Lindsey Lohan here. Some of the girls I went to college with, not naming names (my wife) make her look like she got punched in the face with the ugly fist. Seriously. So this movie continued to piss me off throughout with it's jabs to my church. It tried hard to even it out, but it didn't work. Lets pile up a sub par performance by an actress I adore in Felicity Huffman, and then a poor performance by Jane Fonda and of course a terrible Lindsey Lohan. It just continued to go downhill for me. Spoiled brat who never learns her lesson ever. Yeah, that's cool. Even the guy from Tron couldn't save this, because he sucked too. Not even Robin Hood did a good job. It's like No one paid attention except Dermot Mulroney who was great in this and the Family Stone. So yes this movie wasn't good, definitely don't watch it if you are LDS it will do nothing but irritate you. 1 out of 5.

(80) Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)

After the first one caused me to loose sleep for a week, I promised myself I wouldn't watch this one. Anne however had something else in mind for her husband and finally after months of prodding and poking and aggravating the doo doo out of me, I broke down and watched it. Not as good as the first one. Some intense scenes however. Not terribly bad, but not terribly good either. The fact that what the family decided to do was a little more than objectionable lead you to be perfectly ok with the ending. Was it scary? eh.. Did you at least jump? yes. Is it a sorry movie that I was ultimately upset with and is slowly becoming the next saw, by that I mean that the first one was a priceless gem to the horror community and then they are going to decided to rape that until it dies by producing tons and tons of unwanted terrible awful sequels and prequels and sidquels until noone even acknowledges how good the first one really was. Yes that exactly what is happening. This gets a 2 out of 5. It just does. The third I imagine is worse. We will see I am sure. Does anyone remember how awesome Saw was when you watched that first time. Then sequel after sequel poored out and they just ruined it. It happened with Final destination as well. Sad but that's the horror genre for you, bleed it out then move to the next one.

Look into the future. What do you see. Documentries, Monsters, Tron, The Blind Side, a surprise 5 from 1980, More wrestling and The Help. Plus. A 2 from Natalie Portman and the end of the 2011 movies. Only 20 more.

No comments:

Post a Comment