Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Half way there!! 41-50 Movies of 2010!

Ok, So this is an ongoing post, If this is your first one to read I'll break it down quickly for you. I watched 100 movies that I had never scene before in 2010. I Blog about them and rate them on a simple 1-5 scale. 1 is terrible don't even waste your time 2 means you can feel free to waste your time but I don't recommend it. 3 is a simple straight forward movie you should see it if you want to. 4 you should rent it watch it right now kind of deal. 5 means buy it right now. So if a movie gets a 3-5 it means it was tolerable. otherwise its iffy. Now a Zero is a possible score. So you should figure to just not ever watch it if it's a Zero. At this point I have rated 40 movies. They are in back posts. The current Post will cover 41-50. Those of you who have been reading these posts. First off Thank You! I appreciate you taking the time to read these. Secondly, On with the Movies!!!

(41) Clash of The Titans (2010)

I Really thought this movie looked good. I will say straight out that I did enjoy the 1980's claymation movie and really did throughly enjoy this one. I didn't see it in 3D because people said that they saw it in 3D and it was horrible. So, I skipped out on the 3D once again. Anne and I loved this. It's a great thrill ride. It didn't manage the charm of the original, but some of the battle scenes were as epic as they come. The story line followed the original loosely. The Love story wasn't as developed, the Gods were a bit cheesy. I didn't like the Glowing effect, It was overkill. They pulled off some of the stuff really well, I loved the Krakken. I thought the scorpions were done really well. The acting wasn't half bad. Sam Worthington I Didn't like at all. I really feel like he was turning Perseus into a U.S. Marine. I don't like that at all. Perseus is of course an epic hero, but he starts out a little lost and vague not hoo-yahing all over the place. I just don't think Perseus would have been an american douche. Ralph Fiennes of course was AMAZING!! With all of the short comings of the main character Worthington, I still really did like this movie. I thought even though they missed a few important character details and left out a few things that made the movie great, which each mistake they hit something awesome. Like the subtle nod to the original by showing the Golden Owl. I really think they did a good job modernizing this film. It was a very good showing. I liked the Medusa Scene the best. I give it a solid 4 out of 5.

(42) 12 Monkeys (1995)

I watched this because it's always been one of those films I wanted to watch and just never got around too. It made me realize, Again, how much I like Brad Pitt and how good of an Actor he really is despite his reputation. He was a crazy person in this movie, Along with Bruce Willis the two made for a good combination. It was dated. Extremely dated and it didn't hold up well. The story could be redone and played out correctly with updated tech that would make more sense. The things it lead too weren't very good overall. It wasn't exactly translated well over the 15 years since it was released. With this taking a major effect on the movie and plot it's hard to honestly say I could even pay attention to the movie overall. I found myself wondering around folding clothes and doing things like that instead of watching the film. Now this being said, I have a pretty high toleration for that type of thing and normally don't get bothered by massive cell phones and out of date ideas of throwing over the government. I do have to say the overall plot was solid and the acting was really good. I can't recommend this movie. Although the overall plot was solid, it doesn't seem that way throughout and even after the movie ends you look back and can see where things just don't play out, Unlike other Willis Twist ending movies This one just doesn't make sense and It just wasn't good. I don't want to pin it on something, but I will I think it's the director Terry Gilliam's fault that it sucked. If you want to see some good Pitt and Willis Action check it out. Otherwise it's a 2 out of 5.

(43) Made (2001)

Jon Favereau is the director and that lead me to watching this. I mean he did Iron Man, I loved him in... Everything he does, So I should like this, Right.... Right, I did like it. Vince Vaughn is still a young punk trying to make it in the movie biz. This is in my opinion his breakout role. I thought he really came into his own here. Famke Janssen is in this as a stripper/whore and may I say I love FAMKE JANSSEN. Ever since the X-Men I thought she was amazing, the more I see her in the more I like her. So..... Yeah. Basic goof ball plot with goof ball mistakes that make for goof ball making up for those mistakes. It goes downhill further before it comes uphill for the characters, A great movie to just sit and watch because you have nothing else to do. It's funny, It's painful, It's nutty. I liked it. Very laughable, not exactly the Hangover funny not even American Pie funny, just a simple normal funny it didn't ring any bells as the best Favereau or Vaughn movie, but it's worth watching just to see Famke Dance around! 4 out of 5


(44) Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day (2009)

I loved the first one. LOVED THE FIRST ONE!! This one, I didn't like as much. I didn't like the new Rocco, I mean Rocco is Rocco not Romeo, Although he wasn't a horrible character. You know who was Rita, Rita....wait....wait....Sorry, I'm a Dexter Fan. Eunice, The new Cop character that took the place of William Dafoe. Ok, now that I have mentioned her lets talk about her. People from the TV show Dexter, have some kind of disease. Why did she use that HORRIFIC accent. The Same thing happened in Gamer with Michael C. Hall. Why do you have to ruin a movie with your terrible accents, Eunice was a terrible character. terrible. just terrible. The plot. I'm not sure what it was or even it it mattered. It is a Boondock Saints movie, so It's basically lets kill the bad guys in hilarious fashion, which happened, several times. I love Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus. They couldn't ever be replaced, They are this series. I mean " Let's do some gratuitous violence." Seriously no other actors can pull this off and make it funny yet awesome. Its just so sad that the lack of an plot driver and the really bad replacements for staples in the first movie ruined it enough for me not to really recommend it, I recommend the crap out of the first one, but this one, you could pass it up. It's totally watchable, I mean if you have seen the first one in the double digits you should watch this one. 3 out 5

(45) The Losers (2010)

I don't normally do this, but This movie is deserving of it. So, Here's the trailer too. Ok now that, that's out of the way. This might be in my top 3 Movies I saw All YEAR LONG. I have watched it with friends and they all say it's ok, well no offense people, but I have no idea what's wrong with you. It was better than Iron Man, better than Inception, better than the A team, etc. etc. etc. etc. It was great, I laughed until I cried. I saw rocket launchers, deadly chicks, a car chase scene with a school bus, sniper rifle action, sweet t-shirts, a baby being born, sexy chicks, knife fights, great music, helicopter MADNESS, Come on what the heck more do you need! Plot, Hello, It's a great plot, played by great actors and actresses, it played out well. The Don't stop Believing part had me embarrassed in the theater, because I was laughing so hard I was crying. So yes sir, I do like the angle of the dangle and this movie gets a well deserved 5 out of 5, I don't want to brag on it too much, but if you haven't seen it, you. are. missing. out. 5 out of 5.

(46) Defendor (2009)


Here's a story about a guy who goes out and becomes a super hero, No not Kick Ass, DEFENDOR. Just like his name isn't Kick Ass, He doesn't kick any. I do like the Bee's. The Bee's are funny. It's really sad, I mean really sad. exceptionally sad. I understand this movie and love Woody Harrelson on a consistent basis, So I had high expectations going in. It was, well it was ok. Not good. Harrelson was awesome as usual. I didn't like the way the story went, it could have gone a little different route. I didn't like the girl character played by Kat Dennings, I liked her in Nick and Norah's infinite Playlist, but not here. Not at all here. I even liked her in the house bunny, not here though. She was a horrible character, not the written character Kat's actual portrayal just wasn't believable. Then you tie in the whole fact that the Harrelson character is mentally challenged and you just want him to stop doing this, but he doesn't and you cheer for him even though oh yeah, man i bet that hurt. It just didn't sit well with me. It was funny at times, and touching at times too. But, all the Woody in the world couldn't save this from being a 2 out of 5.

(47) Iron Man 2 (2010)

I loved the first one. I think John Favereau really gets into these films, and really enjoys making them. This is why they are so fun. Iron Man 2 didn’t disappoint, but it was sad because I had already seen the first one and some of the thing that WOW’ed in the first one, were just normal in this one. I felt like I had seen it at times. Other than that I loved it. I really liked Andy Rourke as Whiplash, I liked Scarlett Johanesson whipping Favereau’s butt in the ring then in the normal fighting scenes she was amazing, if anything we didn’t get enough of her. I liked the new Roadie. I think replacing that actor with an actual legitimate actor Don Cheadle was a good call. I know the other actor was pissed, but whatever Don Cheadle was amazing as roadie where Terrence Howard was just an actor. I liked the epic Suitcase Suit, The Drunk thing was funny, and very on Character for Tony Stark. Some of the action was over the top, but It was Iron Man and that made it ok. The Jokes were there but not as much, which was sad. I love the nods to Upcoming Movies, Like The Avengers. Captain America’s Sheild showed up mid way through, then if you stay through the credits, Boom You get Thor’s Hammer, I was so pumped. I thought it was spot on what I expected from this movie, I expected it to not be as good as the first one, because the first one was just amazing, but this one was just a small, very small, step below it. It wasn’t a let down by any means, it also didn’t exceed any expectations, which makes it just spot on what I wanted. Which I have to admit I’m ok with. I also will give this a 5 out of 5. Which It Deserves even with it's small shortcomings.

(48) The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

Terry Gilliam Brings Us a Wonderful Adventure. The plot is about a traveling circus a mysterious man and his past, and the circus's success mixed in with the fact that it really is magic! Things that you see and the way they are presented made me feel like a kid. I thought Holy Crap, that would be amazing. The Acting is Just, Wow does Christopher Plummer Nail Dr. Parnassus! Lily Cole is beautiful in this, Breathtaking, Astonishingly beautiful, Not in a sexy way, just in a coming of Age way. This isn't really a coming of age movie, It is loosely but that is a side plot. Then you have Tony Played By Heath Ledger, This Character You are not sure what is going on. The entire time until the end you aren't sure if you he is good, if he is really hurt, or if he is bad and a liar. It's a very mysterious movie that has you asking lots of questions. The Cinematography is amazing. I love the different Tony's who happen to be Johnny Depp, Jude Law,and Colin Farrell all top notch actors playing small roles. The movie is put together well, and is a Surprising 5 out of 5

(49) Brothers (2009)

This is a typical family torn apart movie. ****SPOILERS****DONT BLAME ME**** One Brother named Sam the other Tommy. Sam is a success Tommy a failure. Stop me if you have heard this one. The Push in your face how Amazing Sam is, How bad Tommy is. Then you have something Bad happen. Sam is in the Military, he gets Captured. The Military thinks he is dead. The Wife and the Brother don't do anything crazy, but Tommy through the grief of loosing his brother, builds her a kitchen, gets drunk with her, and kisses her, she kisses back and that's it. Sam is alive, tortured and eventually escapes. He comes home to a Family who believed him dead, Sam finds out and Here is where I am throughly impressed with Tobey Maguire. He has come a long way since dancing in the street with his symbiotic suit under his clothes. Jake Gyllenhaal and Natalie Portman Impress here too, but not like Maguire, His performance body and and soul here is crazy good. However, The story wasn't that interesting, the writing was at times painful, the visuals were ok for this, I didn't like the war scenes. I didn't like the way the story went, I didn't like a few of the more intense scenes they were good, dramatic FOR SURE, The Plot just was very cookie cutter and depressing. 3 out of 5, You should watch it if you wanted to see it.

(50) A nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

I figured I had never scene any of these Slasher films I should give them a chance. I didn't really want to watch any Friday the 13th, but Nightmare of Elm Street looked ok, So I watched It. Johnny Depp was Super Young in this one. I'm not sure if It was worth all the sequels, It was ok by horror standards. I mean you have to keep in mind that it was made in the early 80's and the effects were a bit cheesy. They did the best with what they had. It was impressive by that standards. The acting was terrible, but It's a slasher film and that's ok by me. I love the Nightmare Concept, so I guess as far as being able to create sequels it would be able come up with new twists so I guess as long as people watch them, they will keep coming. That's not a bad thing. I mean I can see the potential in this being good. The first one I guess was the experimental one, I don't know. It wasn't that great. I thought it was slow, not scary at all. It just wasn't good. I did like Depps Death. 2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment