Tuesday, August 14, 2012

2012 Movies. 7-9. Plus, radical news and a very special gift for you all.

Alright, So Blog number three of 2012. If you haven't read any of my movie blogs, there are plenty in the previous blog posts that you can go through. If you want a particular movie, send me a message and I'll check it out, and let you know what number it will appear it.

Here is the deal with this blog. I like movies. I watch 100 movies a year that I haven't seen. With that in mind you can have movies spanning several generations in just a few blogs or even in the same one. I use several different gateways to watch movies. Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Redbox, regular rental stores, Libraries, Movie Theaters and the good old fashioned way, I'll buy them, and my friends and other people let me borrow them. I watch them and then I rate them, sometimes I rant about things that I like or dislike about the movie, actors, etc. The rating's fall between 0 and 5. This year I have started being a little more precise with my ratings and using decimal points after being asked too by several of my followers. Most of whom don't actually follow my blog. I'm not sure why, maybe they just don't want to sign up for blogger, but in the words of the great and wise Professor Farnsworth "good news everyone" not his other qoute "You? A woman! I'm trying to catch a monster, not find the quickest way to the mall."  Anyway, this blog will be featured on the Tumblr site of....................................... THE UNICORN GUILD!!!!!!! AWWWWWW YEAAAAH. I will also start not only doing movies but will start doing Video games the same way. Old and New side by side, blog by blog. The Tumblr site will not only feature my blog, but game play from my Halo time, and all of those Guilder's out there who also play and experience the fun it is to be part of the Guild. By the way, we aren't serious gamer's. You will see what I am talking about when the Tumblr site is up and running. It will also feature artwork, music and other creativeness that the guild members have to offer. So enough of the great news. Lets talk about the Movies.


The following movies are part of Anne and my Oscar Run. We like to try and catch all the movies that are in the Academy Awards. We typically don't get all of the movies in. We try, but it's hard when some of the movies are in Limbo between the theater and DVD. There are a few in the previous blog and there will be a few here and in the next blog.

(7) The Tree of Life (2011)
I'm going to start this by saying this one is going to seriously upset some of my readers. I typically like abstract movies that touch and go to tell a larger story in the end and give an overall feeling that only a movie can give you. I have covered these type of movies in the past. I typically like them. This one however. Gave me nothing. Nothing. If you take away all the filler and give me the basic story with a the feel that it could have potentially portrayed it could have been a little better. Just because something is beautiful or has a period of transition is basically part of this earths great history doesn't mean you need to throw it in a film. Yes, the images that were shown were amazing. The images and flow fit together some some of the most seamless transitions and the editing were great. The Dinosaur part was something that added and didn't detract from the movie out of all the fluff, yes I said fluff, because that is exactly what it was, the Dinosaur part was the best. Some of the fluff, indeed was miraculous to watch and I understood the growth and what was trying to be said throughout the movie with the fluff. Why didn't I like the fluff? Especially, because I not only thought it was entertaining, beautiful and well produced. The main reason I didn't like it within the movie, was that I realized I wasn't watching the wonderful documentary "Planet Earth" I was watching a movie. A movie that was supposed to have a plot and meaning. It did have a plot. A weak one. I didn't like anything about the plot. The acting given by Pitt and Jessica Chastain and the children wasn't weak, it was the best part of the film. The Dinner table scene was one of the only saving graces I could find in this throne of crap that was this movie. Sean Penn delivered another over rated performance where he basically stands around and looks out different windows. No offense, but I can see the same thing with fish in an aquarium or a zebra in a zoo. I have seen zombie's in movies look more perplexed than the most over rated actor in Hollywood Sean Penn. Was this movie good. No. Did it have it's moments. Yes, but I have my moments mowing the grass. I felt that the fluff covered up the fact that the script was too short and didn't have enough in it to make a full feature so they just dumped a bunch of nature stuff the saw on animal planet and the discovery channel to fill up time and make a film out of it. It was weak, sour, and borderline un-watchable. Not the worst movie I have ever seen. Not nearly that bad, but it wasn't good either. 1.1 out of 5.

(8) Warrior (2011)
 This movie was another one during the Oscar run Anne and I made at my parents house this year. By the way has anyone ever noticed How much Joel Edgerton and Conan O'brien look alike. It's a little Uncanny. I'll add a Picture at the End of this. It's a movie of Brothers who have taken drastically different paths and end up at the same place. A cage Tournament Via UFC. They have a drunk for a father who is Nick Nolte and he plays it well. I think, because that's basically what he is now. That's how convincing he was. The plot was actually surprisingly in depth. I couldn't get over seeing Conan O'brien in a UFC cage. I will say one thing. I am not in any way a UFC fan. I do enjoy the fights and showboats when I have taken the time to watch them. I by no means have ever bought or set out for an evening of UFC watching. I will say though that I enjoyed the movie. It's plot was just as intriguing of any movie I have seen to date. The one brother was estranged from the family and holds a heavy grudge. The other is a blue color american up to his eyeballs in debt and tries to gain money by working non stop and doing the best he can only to loose his job and become desperate. It's a great tale, one that hasn't been told in this matter in previous films. It's a rocky like tale that ends in almost an Old Yeller style. The tale of a fighter who against all odds rises to victory is one that has been told throughout the years in some of the most classic movies. (Rocky) These movies stand the test of time and entertain by the thousands. However, this movie is one that has its overall issues. The Brothers confrontation was great. The fighting was outstanding and believable. The movie however had a few things wrong with it. Unlike it's predecessors like Rocky, Million Dollar Baby, The Karate Kid and Raging Bull this movie doesn't produce one solid character to get behind. It gave you two to feel sorry for. It gave you options which is great, but in a movie when it comes down to the end if your guy losses it's going to ruin the movie for you. Spins from the past don't really show up here either there is no Million Dollar Baby breath taking moment or breath holding moment. There were no twist of fates. The movie didn't need there to be. The acting was OK, the wife of Brendan wasn't convincing. This is like the third or fourth thing I have seen her in and I am not impressed. The Principal watching the fights was hilarious and the comradeship of the kids in Brendan's school was fun. The movie itself was fun and compelling. I don't have a lot to say in the negative. Except... It's run time. It went on and on. It slowed down to a crawl at times and this kills points quicker than anything for me. 3.4 out of 5.


(9) The Fantastic Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (2011)
This movie was amazing. It's a short. It's so short in fact that I watched twice in a row to catch all of it's wonderfulness. It was fun, sad, happy, and funny. It was everything a full length movie is packed into a well done short. It's every bit as intriguing as any other full length feature film that has billions of dollars backing it. It's one of the best films I have ever seen. One of the most heart felt and appreciative movies that have graced the screen large or small. It gives you an appreciation of the things that we sometimes overlook, and don't pay much attention too. If you want to know my rating. It's perfect. 5 out of 5.  If you want to watch this amazing short film I suggest you do something that is unprecedented. Don't leave this blog because it is below waiting on you to enjoy it as much as I did. Reader's of my blog. Please enjoy "The Fantastic Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore."


1 comment: